Thursday, February 25, 2010

My God is bigger than a snow shovel...

A snow shovel. Yes, you may have had to think about it for a minute, but it's true... God is bigger than a snow shovel. I say this because lately we have had quite a lot of snow land on us in the good 'ol NY, and it just keeps coming. In fact it's still coming down hard as I look out the window now. Now for us (my dad, brother, sister and me), whenever it snows hard, we get to go out in the middle of the night or day (mostly in the night though) and shovel sidewalks all over the county. This is our job every winter and it's okay, but when it comes to those all nighters because of so much snow, it certainly gets tiresome. Before you know it, every thought that flows through your mind is a complaint. Little things become annoyances, and you make yourself miserable contemplating on everything that "annoys" you. I mean seriously, who wants to get up at 3 in the morning to go out in the cold, wet snow to shovel and tire yourself out?
   Well unfortunately, this is where I find my mindset all too often, and it's not good. I completely throw away the fact that God is sovereign and in control of everything. I know God won't give me anything that I'm not able to handle. But then I think in terms of my own power, and know that I can do it, it's just annoying and I just don't like it. But then the Holy Spirit puts that little thought in the back of my head reminding me that I'm putting my own selfish desires and wants before anything else. I am making myself an idol and just become miserable. If I were to see myself through another pair of eyes, I would say that I didn't really care about honoring God too much. Now that's a scary place to be! I don't want people to think that at all, especially someone who is unsaved. People should be seeing the light of Jesus shine through me, even when little annoyances come my way.
  
 1 Corinthians 10:31 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

   You see, even when little things annoy us like having to go shovel a sidewalk, try and remember that God is bigger than the snow shovel that seems to be getting on your nerves. Let God consume your mind and thoughts, instead of a plastic shovel that will just make you miserable and your testimony not stand out among this world. Be a shining light, not a black hole of selfishness.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails